Kung Pao Style Noodles
At just $1.40/serving, this recipe help keep you on budget with a meal as delicious as it is easy!
- ¼ cup Bragg Liquid Aminos soy sauce, or tamari
- 1 Tablespoon miso paste
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ginger freshly minced
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoon chili garlic sauce
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 6 oz. firm or extra-firm tofu about 1/2 a package, pan-fried
- 8 oz. spaghetti
- 1 medium red onion cut into long thin strips
- 1 cup red bell pepper cut into 1/4" wide strips, optional
- 12 oz. frozen stir-fry vegetables
- ¼ cup peanuts
Prep all the veggies as this recipe comes together fast.
Place all the sauce ingredients into a small bowl and whisk well, then set aside.
Cube the tofu and pan fry it in a non-stick pan until lightly browned on all sides. Set aside on a plate.
Cook the noodles according to package directions, drain, rinse with cold water, and set aside.
In a large pot or high-sided frying pan large enough to accommodate all the ingredients, add the bell peppers and red onions, sauté over medium-high heat for approx. 5 to 7 minutes, just to slightly tender stage. Add a splash of water if they start to stick.
Then move the veggies to the side of the pan and add the sauce and cook until it starts to caramelize and thicken (about 3 to 4 minutes), then fold in the peanuts, tofu, and cooked noodles. Gently fold until the mixture thickens and evenly coats all the noodles and peanuts.
I calculated the costs for this recipe in the Summer of 2020 using Kroger's online store. Prices at your local store may vary.
We normally buy whole grain pasta but I use white pasta in this recipe because it is cheaper. To reduce costs further, use soy sauce instead of the Bragg Liquid Aminos and 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger and 1 teaspoon of garlic powder for the fresh.
Calories: 423kcal | Carbohydrates: 72g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1277mg | Potassium: 590mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 5559IU | Vitamin C: 59mg | Calcium: 79mg | Iron: 3mg