Pancakes, whole food plant based style
Just because I’m not cooking with oil, refined sugars or refined flours anymore doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy pancakes. And fluffy delicious pancakes at that!
We’ve been making all of our meals in the RV since we left Portland. So it was time for a little treat, a break from our usual oatmeal for breakfast. And these pancakes aren’t even bad! They’re totally whole foods plant-based friendly.
The recipe will be as I made them and then I’ll offer some possible replacements if you don’t have the ingredients. These come out beautifully fluffy and taste amazing!
- 1.5 cup whole wheat pastry flour or whole wheat flour or unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1.5 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed optional, for omega 3s
- 1/2 teaspoon salt optional
- 1.5 cup unsweetened almond milk or unsweetened non-dairy milk of your choice
- 2 tablespoons date syrup or sweetener of your choice
- 1.5 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ground flax, and salt, if using.
- Add milk, date syrup or sweetener of your choice, and vanilla to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Let sit while you heat up the pan.
- Pour onto hot non-stick pan to desired size. Cook over medium high heat until edges start to look dry and it is bubbling in the center. Flip and continue cooking until cooked all the way through. Touch the center with your finger to check. It will spring back when it’s done.
- Add your favorite toppings and enjoy!
About the Author
vegan. full-time traveler. rv dweller. food lover. cow petter.