This is our basic tofu scramble recipe. I had to measure out the ingredients as I shared it with you because I normally don’t measure anything out. Tofu scramble is one of those recipes we make so often it’s second nature. But that doesn’t help you know how to make it.
I like to use tofu scramble as an opportunity to use up vegetable odds and ends I have on hand. Choose and prep vegetables so they will take about the same amount of time to cook.
Some possible vegetable add-ins: carrot, bell pepper, cauliflower, broccoli, peas, spinach (fresh or frozen), kale (fresh or frozen), cooked potatoes, cooked sweet potatoes, sliced mushrooms, cooked brussels sprouts, or whatever you like!
This tofu scramble recipe is fairly versatile. You can serve it as part of a breakfast plate as shown or combine it with beans, rice, and your favorite salsa to make breakfast burritos. It also makes a delicious component for breakfast bowls. We love this for breakfast and beyond.[recipe-video]
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 1 pound firm or extra firm tofu drained and pressed if necessary
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon kala namak or black salt
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons Bragg Liquid Aminos or soy sauce or tamari
- 2-3 cups assorted vegetables
- Add onions to a large non-stick skillet with a lid. Start with a little oil if your pan isn't non-stick or you want to. Sauté until softened. If the ingredients start to stick at any point, add a tablespoon or two of water.
- Crumble tofu into the pan. Stir to combine with onions. Let sit for a few minutes to brown on one side. Stir to brown other side.
- While second side is browning, add all seasonings then stir.
- When well combined and lightly browned, add vegetables and stir. Put lid on pan to help steam the veggies.
- Once the vegetables are warmed and tender taste to see if seasoning needs to be adjusted. Then eat that tofu scramble up.
About the Author
vegan. full-time traveler. rv dweller. food lover. cow petter.