Black and White Bean Chili – Stove Top or Instant Pot
Are you a fan of spicy, smoky chili? Then this Black and White Bean Chili recipe will be right up your alley!
Like our Spicy Garlic Stir Fry, this was a recipe we demonstrated at The RV Thing.
We've been making this black and white bean chili for years. It's a great standby meal because the ingredients are mostly pantry items. If you'd like a recipe that's a little less spicy, try this Instant Pot Vegan Chicken Chili.
And it's another recipe that's super forgiving. Use whatever beans you have on hand. Add chopped jalapeño or poblano chilies. Use red, yellow or orange bell pepper instead of green. Throw in some protein crumbles. Toss in 1/4 cup of textured vegetable protein. (TVP) Add shredded carrot. You get the idea!
I've written up this black and white bean chili recipe for the stove top, but below in the notes you will also find Instant Pot instructions. We usually make it in the Instant Pot.
Creative ways to use chili leftovers
This recipe makes six servings. If there's only two of you and you don't enjoy eating the same thing every day until it's gone, here are some ideas on how you can use chili leftovers.
- Chili Mac - eat leftovers on top of your favorite pasta
- Chili Mac & Cheese - same, but with mac & cheese - box kind if you're lazy
- Chili Sweet Potato - on top of a baked sweet potato or russet
- Chili Burrito - inside a tortilla with rice and your favorite toppings
- Chili & Grits - on top of grits or polenta
The only ingredients in this recipe that might be considered unusual are smoked paprika and chipotle in adobo.
We have consistently found chipotle in adobo in any grocery store that has an international section. It comes in a can. The extra freezes beautifully for future use. And I promise it won't be $7.
Smoked paprika can be elusive at times. I'm not sure why as we consider it an essential spice in our cabinet. If you can't find it at a local store, it is readily available online.
Please note, this post does contain affiliate links. If you do click through them and buy something, we will get a small commission that helps pay for costs involved in running a website. And we do appreciate it!
Black and White Bean Chili with Instant Pot Option
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes undrained
- 2 15 oz. can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz. can cannellini beans or great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 to 2 chipotle in adobo
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- Sauté the onion in water over medium heat, cover, and cook until softened. Add garlic and bell pepper and cook for another minute.
- Add all the remaining ingredients plus 1 cup of water and simmer, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Sauté the onion, pepper, and garlic using the sauté function. Add remaining ingredients, turn off sauté function, seal lid, and cook on high pressure for 14 minutes and let the pressure release naturally. If you find it too soupy cook off some of it using the sauté function and only add 1/2 cup of water next time.
Is chili on regular meal rotation in your kitchen? We occasionally make other chilis but this Black and White Bean Chili is the one we keep coming back to again and again. If you make it, let us know what you thought!
About the Author
vegan. full-time traveler. rv dweller. food lover. cow petter.