Tofu Salad – Super Easy Vegan Recipe
Did you know that you can make a vegan tofu salad that’s an excellent replica of egg salad? The magic ingredient is kala namak or black salt. It has a sulfur smell just like eggs. If that turns you off, just leave it out.
Egg Salad Memories
Back in the day, I was a big fan of egg salad sandwiches. On weekends, we would go pick up my Grandma and head over to the Peoples Drug and have lunch at the counter. Seriously, this was still a thing in the 70s and into the early 80s. My go to order was an egg salad sandwich and french fries. Then I’d squirt ketchup all over the fries so my grandmother wouldn’t eat them all.
Pressing the Tofu
One key to getting the right texture is to press the tofu really well; I use our Tofu Xpress. Leave it in the press for several hours or overnight for the best results. I don’t like the tofu salad to be too juicy.
Which Vegan Mayo?
Sandwich or Salad?
This tofu salad makes an awesome sandwich but you can also eat it as a topper to your favorite greens. Or, eat it with saltines old school style.
- 1 pound firm or extra firm tofu pressed well and drained
- 1 carrot shredded
- 1 celery stalk finely diced
- 2 tablespoons onion finely diced
- 1/4 cup dill or sweet pickle relish drained well
- 1/2 teaspoon salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon kala namak or black salt use the larger amount if you want it eggier but remember that it's also salt and adjust your salt accordingly
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric optional, just for color
- 3-4 tablespoons vegan mayonaise
- Crumble the tofu into a bowl with your hands or mash with a fork.
- Crumble tofu into a bowl with your hands or mash with a fork.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients and mix well. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Serve on fresh or toasted bread, on top of greens, or with a side of saltine crackers.
About the Author
vegan. digital nomad. cycling. scuba. intj. former vegan bakery owner.