Oil-Free Spice Cake
It's a rainy, chilly day so I decided that today's the day to crank up the oven and make an Oil Free Spice Cake.
Because we try to stick to whole food plant-based diet in the RV, the dessert recipes are a bit scarce here on the website. So I decided that until we can share treats with other people, I needed to find some desserts to make that don't stray too far from our regular foods.
This Oil Free Spice Cake is also vegan, whole grain, and only sweetened with maple syrup. It's lightly sweet and amazing with a cup of coffee. The raisins are little bursts of sweetness and the walnuts give it texture.
If you'd like to switch things up, chopped dates would be nice instead of raisins. Or you could even add finely diced fresh apple to this oil free spice cake.
One thing I've noticed in the RV is that when I'm going to bake I want it to go as quickly as possible. Even if it's cold out, I don't really want to run the oven for an hour waiting on a loaf of sweet bread. So I'll always choose to make a snack cake, like this oil free spice cake, or muffins instead since they cook so much faster.
And as much as we love "regular" desserts, we have NO willpower and will eat way too much of them. With only two people eating it, I also feel compelled to make sure it doesn't go bad.
Oil-free Spice Cake
- 1 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour or unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 1/8 tsp mace optional
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup walnuts coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Spray a 9" x 9" square baking pan with cooking spray or use a silicon one.
- Mix all of the wet ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a medium bowl and whisk together until well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until just combined. Add the raisins and walnuts and stir until mixed in. This will be a thick batter.
- Spread the batter in the baking pan and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool before serving.
Do you prefer your cake in snack, loaf or muffin form?
About the Author
vegan. full-time traveler. rv dweller. food lover. cow petter.