Vegan Skillet Cornbread
Recently I got the chance to bust out my vegan skillet cornbread recipe for a New Orleans inspired feast we had here at camp. It made me wonder why I don't make it all the time! Oh right, because it's summer and I don't want to run the oven.
But cornbread is delicious with chili, red beans and rice, soups, brunch, on its own - you get the idea.
Here are some of our recipes that would be amazing with cornbread.
Cornbread, even faster
Even though I grew up in the shallow, not the deep, south, we did have cornbread occasionally when I was young. But the Jiffy corn muffin mix used contained lard so I haven't thought of it in years. Until recently.
But, recently Jiffy released a vegetarian corn bread mix. The ingredients are vegan. And they put instructions on how to make vegan cornbread on their website. The substitutions are right on the box, too. Man, times are a changing!
Down below I'm going to post a scratch recipe for vegan skillet cornbread for you. But sometimes you need to get there faster. So I wanted to share this new(ish) option.
Why vegan skillet cornbread?
Why should you make your cornbread in a cast-iron skillet? By preheating the skillet and then baking the cornbread in it you get an extra-thick crust on the cornbread. Cornbread does tend to be a little crumbly, so this crust can help it stay intact.
Also, I love any excuse to use my cast-iron pan. Cast-iron lasts forever! For example, this pan is from a second-hand store. I cleaned it, reseasoned it, and have been using it for 10 or more years.
There's a whole collectors market for old cast-iron pans Once, I looked up the markings on the bottom of my pan and discovered it was manufactured in the 1950s.
This recipe is not oil-free. If you want to make it oil-free, substitute 1/4 cup of applesauce for the oil. You can also substitute maple syrup for the sugar.
- Preheat oven to 425F. If you’re using an 8” cast iron skillet, place it in the oven while it is preheating. This will help give your cornbread a nice crust. Otherwise, spray an 8” round or square baking dish with cooking spray. If using the cast iron skillet you will spray it later.
- Add flaxseed and water to a small microwave-safe bowl and stir. Microwave on high for one minute. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the white whole wheat flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt until well-combined.
- Add the flaxseed mixture, non-dairy milk, and oil to the flour mixture. Stir until just until smooth.
- Carefully remove cast iron skillet from the oven and spray inside with oil. Pour the batter into the skillet or baking pan and smooth out so it’s level. Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool for at least 20 minutes then cut into pieces and serve.
Are you a cornbread fan? What's your favorite dish to eat with cornbread?
About the Author
vegan. full-time traveler. rv dweller. food lover. cow petter.